
Born Antoine McColister in Broward County, Florida, Ace knew he was meant to do great things, even at a young age. He says "I got the name Ace as a child. My family always thought that I would be the one who would succeed in whatever I did." After an injury ruined his flourishing football career, Ace turned to his true calling, rapping. At the age of 17, Ace, together with the Broward-County-based entertainment label Dollaz & Dealz, recorded his first street hit "M.O.E." ("Money Over Everything"). This song generated immediate buzz for him in South Florida. Ace began to perform and meet people who helped him gain publicity like never before. After perfecting his craft on local crowds, his goal was to perform for DJ Khaled at his annual birthday bash. Khaled had a contest going on where you had to give a certain amount of reasons why you should perform at the birthday bash. Ace recalls "
We handed him a CD and once we did that he listened to it and called my manager that night wanting to set up a meeting." That meeting turned into Ace becoming the first artist signed to DJ Khaled's label "We the Best" distributed by Def Jam Records.
Now you no doubt have heard Ace Hood's first two singles "Cash Flow," and "Ride." Here's a something a but more grittier.




1 comment:
I remember when Ace Hood first came onto the scene, and now he is one of the most revered young rappers in South Florida. Fun Fact: DJ Khaled is Palestinian.
Post a Comment